You made it through your first year of med school. Alive. That calls for a much-needed vacation. However you plan to relax, we’ve got a guide to match. From mosquito bites to hangover cures, Kaplan Medical’s Master Faculty is here to guide you through your “last summer.”
Get more tips from our Kaplan Medical Team. Subscribe to our blog!
Your trip won’t be complete without our Five Tips for Surviving Your Outdoor Adventures. Use these when your parents ask you to “say something medical.” Read and share these factoids from our faculty:
1. Instagross. Both disulfiram and metronidazole block acetaldehyde dehydrogenase. In a person taking either of these drugs who also drinks ethanol (alcohol) they cause the accumulation of acetaldehyde and the symptoms of nausea, vomiting, and headache. It’s dangerous, gross and isn’t worth documenting on social media. Act responsibly.
2. Banana Baggin’ It. We’re not recommending this as a DIY hangover cure, but the affectionately-named, “Banana Bag” will get you back on your feet in no time. What’s in it? There’s usually a blend of B12, Potassium, Dextrose, and fluids, administered intravenously. Other vitamins like Vitamins A, and E are sometimes added. If you want our real solution, don’t over do it!
3. Pacific Sickness. Acetaldehyde dehydrogenase is necessary for the breakdown of alcohol; however, Asian people from the Pacific Rim have low levels of acetaldehyde dehydrogenase. That is why many Chinese, Japanese and other East Asian cultures, have alcohol intolerance. Symptoms of alcohol intolerance include flushing of the skin, nausea, and increased heartbeat.
4. Pull up the Hydration Station. Last night you had a great time at the party, perhaps too good of time, and now this morning your head hurts and you get dizzy when standing. Alcohol inhibits anti-diuretic hormone (ADH) causing your body to loose water in addition to the loss of the breakdown products of alcohol. Next time, drink some water before you go to bed because you don’t buy alcohol, you rent it!
5. Facebook or Facepalm? You may be the responsible one in your group, so while your friends are suffering from hangovers and you’re starting your morning off with a jog and a smoothie, remember to check for photos on social media channels. Make sure you’re not in them and look out for your friends. It’s important to protect your image and identity as a young medical professional so be sure to act responsibly even after the night ends.
Want to put this guide to use? Enter to win Kaplan’s Ultimate Summer Sweepstakes. We’re giving away a $250 Visa(R) giftcard each month so you can enjoy your boards-free summer in style.
Meet our Master Faculty :
|Steve Harris, PhD
|Kim Moscatello, PhD
|Charles Faselis, MD
|Sam Turco, PhD
|Jim White, PhD
|John Barone, MD
Test names are the registered trademark of their respective owners.